Inlays & Onlays
A dental inlay or onlay is a restorative treatment that helps repair mild cracks and fractures in your teeth. Inlays and onlays are part of three main restorative procedures: dental fillings, dental inlays or onlays and dental crowns. When you have suffered a crack or a fracture or some other issue that has damaged your tooth or teeth, these treatments can provide protection and strength to your teeth allowing you to regain functionality and security when you speak and eat. Your smile will soon be radiant and beautiful again!
Similar to a dental filling, inlays are placed inside a tooth cavity, whereas, onlays are fitted on top of the tooth, when the damage or decay are not severe enough to need a dental crown. Inlays and onlays can also be made out of different materials such as: silver, gold, ceramic and porcelain. Nowadays, porcelain and ceramic are the materials of choice amongst dentists and patients as they provide a more discreet restoration, matching your natural teeth’s color while providing the same strength and durability of metal materials. Just like with dental crowns, inlays and onlays require two visits for the treatment to be completed.
Inlays & Onlays Procedure:
- During your first appointment, our dentist will examine your teeth to determine which teeth need treatment
- The teeth are thoroughly cleaned and prepped for treatment
- Local anesthesia is applied to block the pain and numb the area
- A mold of your tooth or teeth is created and sent to the lab where your custom-made inlay or onlay will be designed
- During your second appointment, the permanent inlay or onlay is placed and adjusted to fit you perfectly
- The restoration is polished and your smile is radiant and beautiful again!
Inlays and onlays can last you for decades if good oral hygiene is practiced daily. Visit us at St. Helena Dental Group at 2845 Main St. #102, St. Helena, CA 94574 or give us a call at (707) 240-8099 to schedule your appointment today!