Professional Teeth Cleanings and Complete Checkups
Here at St. Helena Dental Group, we try to educate our patients about the importance of having good oral hygiene. Although it is very easy to have a routine of cleaning twice a day, with flossing and rinsing, it is highly recommended to have at least two professional teeth cleanings and checkups a year.
A professional cleaning will allow you to have strong, healthy teeth and help you fight cavities and infections; it consist of the following:
- A hygienist or general dentist will examine your mouth and see what the overall health of your teeth is.
- Thorough brushing and rinsing will eliminate any tartar buildup, plaque or any residue that has buildup over time.
- After a thorough cleaning, the dentist or hygienist will proceed to polish each tooth and prepare it for the final treatment.
- Fluoride varnish is applied as well as dental sealants to protect the teeth and make them stronger and repel any buildup of tartar or plaque.
A complete checkup will allow the dentist to check the overall health of your teeth and gums and prevent any disease from happening or progressing in the future. A complete checkup consists of:
- The dentist checking your teeth and gums, making sure there is no periodontal disease and your gums are nice and healthy and your teeth are strong and clean.
- Your jaws and overall bone structure are checked to make sure that there are no other underlying issues. Digital dental X-rays and other exams might be required to form a complete picture of your dental health.
- The dentist will then proceed to conduct an oral cancer screening test will which will check for lumps, lesions or abnormal tissue around your neck, teeth, tongue, and cheeks.
Having good oral hygiene can prevent you from having worse issues in the future, that is why it is very important to have a routine to make sure your teeth are clean and free of bacteria that can cause gum disease, tooth decay, and cavities.
If you still haven't had you yearly checkup, visit us at 2845 Main St. #102 St. Helena, CA, 94574, or call us at (707) 240-8099 to schedule your appointment today!